Wedding Day Song Selection 1 of 3
Updated: Sep 1, 2018
Having a hard time choosing the right first dance song? Well planning your special day is already stressful, so here are some helpful tips and suggestions.
First, you want to think of what words speak to you and your future spouse. If you are hopeless romantics, then you want to choose a song that speaks about "Love" and "Growing Old" with that person. Ballads are the the most common types of songs to capture this feeling. A classic ballad like "At Last" by Etta James is always nice, or something a little more contemporary like "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran is one of the more popular first dance songs today.
Not really a Ballad kind of couple? Well there are plenty of mid and up tempo love songs like "My Girl" by The Temptations, "You Are The Best Thing" by Ray LaMontagne, "No One" by Alicia Keys, "Ain't No Mountain" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell and songs that scream fun like "Marry You" by Bruno Mars.
If you are looking for songs that speak to "falling in love at first sight," a classic song would be "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack. Looking for a song about "falling in love with your best friend?" some suggestions would be "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caliat, or "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz. Finally, if you are looking for a song that says "I've waited my whole life for you," "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri or "All My Life" by Jodeci would be a great selection for you.
No matter what type of song you are looking for, the key is to pick a song that is relatable to a significant moment that stands out to and your future spouse. For example, a song that was playing in the background of your first date or perhaps the song that your parents or a loved one got married to. Either way your first dance should be something memorable.
If all else fails, there are a number of love songs that are appropriate for your first dance. Our top fifteen favorites include:
1. "All of Me" by John Legend
2. "Make You Feel My Love" by Adele
3. "Stay With Me" by Sam Smith
4. "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys
5. "Crazy Love" by Van Morrison
6. "By Your Side" by Sade
7. "Just The Way You Are" by Billy Joel
8. "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars
9. "Like I'm Gonna Lose You by Meghan Trainor and John Legend
10. "Latch" by Disclosure and Sam Smith (acoustic version)
11. "From the Ground Up" by Dan & Shay
12. "Crazy Girl" by Eli Young Band
13. "If This World Were Mine" by Luther Vandross and Cheryl Lynn
14. "This Will Be" by Natalie Cole
15. "Where You Lead" by Carole King
We hope this information helps making your first dance song selection a little less stressful.
-The Jam Band